Lockout/tagout procedures are rigorously implemented in any workplace for a reason. For KC Supply, staying safe in the workplace is a thorough knowledge of the safety procedures for specific situations, such as handling and operating machinery for hazardous energy. The lockout/tagout procedures are critical in maintaining a safe working environment when working around machines.
Lockout/Tagout Procedures to Remember
- Ensure that all workers are aware and prepared for the shutdown. Everyone in the surrounding area should have already been trained or received proper instruction on hazardous-energy-awareness, as well as the sources.
- All affected employees should be notified. Ensure that everyone is paying attention to know that the lockout is about to begin.
- Shut down the equipment in a safe and orderly manner. Depending on the machinery used, employees should follow the careful steps precisely in the shutdown manner. Always consult with the equipment-specific procedures or the machine’s operating manual.
- Isolate all hazardous energy sources. During this part of the lockout/tagout procedure, take extreme precautions. Ensure that the circuit breaker or valve has gotten completely isolated to prevent any risk of accidents.
- Apply lockout/tagout devices to the energy sources. For example, use specific logs and tags. No one else except assigned personnel to each of the locks and tags can do this procedure, nor can anyone else remove or move the locks and tags unless with complete approval from a supervisor.
- Release any stored energy. This could be excess steam, hydraulic energy, and other types. No energy should be in the area before you move the equipment.
- Test the controls and return them to the off position. This is the final phase of the lockout/tagout procedures. You need to test the controls to ensure that they are disconnected, are nonfunctional, and have no risk of an accidental restart. Once you’ve confirmed it’s shut down, you can return the control to the off position.
KC Supply emphasizes the need for intense precautions during the lockout/tagout procedure because of the hazardous energy that could put everyone at risk. To learn more about crucial workplace safety, visit KC Supply’s website.